Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Why its really OK to be 21 and unmarried....

So one of my best friends Ashley is (about to be) engaged... and recently I had the amazing opportunity to join her in wedding dress shopping! Now, seeing as how I myself am unmarried, along with the majority of my close friends, I have not actually gone wedding dress shopping before... and boy, was it an adventure.

Please, let me just preclude my story by giving those of you who do not know the background of Mormom Utah/Idaho culture... We are commanded to multiply and replenish the earth, correct?... well there are many young people that reside here in Utah and Idaho.. particularly ages 18-21 for girls and 21-24 for guys... that take that commandment quite literally and straight to the heart. Usually within a few months, give or take a few weeks, of meeting each other. (I will note that my friend Ashley is not in this boat and I am very happy for her and her fiance) And thus are thrust into planning a wedding in between classes, scheduling honeymoons on school holidays, and having babies during finals.

So, now that we are all up to speed, this is where my story takes place. Right smack dab in the middle of Utah Mormonville (specifically Sandy, UT) and in one of those wedding dress shops that brings all the youngsters together in anticipation for that happy day...

So the place we went to was actually a very quaint boutique with amazingly beautiful (along with hideous) dresses. While we were there 2 other brides-to-be also showed up to try on and/or alter dresses. And all I can say is... BRIDE-ZILLAS. to the max. I have never heard the craziest, most absurd comments or conversations protrude from anyone's mouths before... I will give you a sampling:

"Yeah, but if I don't eat the few days before the wedding, I am sure it will zip up"

"I want to wear the slip, I like looking like Cinderella, I just don't think I will be able to sit down all day"

"I can't breathe very well after a couple of minutes, but I dont worry, I'll deal"

"I don't think I will be eating that day anyways..."

After hearing this over and over and over (I dont even want to know what planning the rest of their wedding was like... like the food decisions) ... and witnessing their mothers just fuel the fire.... that is when I decided.. it is so OK not to be married at 21, contrary to the mormon pop culture belief... and don't get me wrong, I know many a happy couple that were married quite young and knew each other for quite a long time and yadda yadda yadda... I'm not talking about those folks, there are always exceptions to an opinion...

But, personally, I like to eat.. every day. and I like to sit too... and I definitely like to breathe. So yes while I do plan on getting married one day... I hope its at a time when I can remember whats really important about that day, the real meaning of it... and not so much worry about "tradition" or having a size 2 dress...

So as a disclaimer, I dont mean to offend anybody or anyone that has ever been married before 21, or was ever a bridezilla... :)

1 comment:

Cinderellis said...

I laughedso hard that I almost spit my oatmeal all over my computer screen. I am proudest Mom ever. My wedding dress is a size 8 - so if you ever chose to wear it, you would have to have it altered down! :-)
LY bunches