Monday, October 3, 2011

Monday Night Menu: Becoming a wife

So most of you know M and I dated for almost 2 years before we were married. We started being a "thing" only 3 months after I moved to Memphis - 6 months after I had graduated from college.

Ok, I'll make it more simple: I was on my own for two and half years and never did I think to prepare to be a wife.

So that might sound weird, but its true. Now that I look back {after only 2 months of marriage, I know, I'm being dramatic} I can see the ways that I did prepare - but I never really did it on 'purpose' - now I don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing, and I don't really care {and at this point it doesnt matter, right?} but I'm sort of happy that I did it that way, because right now, I love learning how to be a wife with my husband.

I can't really explain why, just that I love it.

One thing that is probably one of my favorite things about becoming a wife is cooking! {I know, another weird thing}

I'm not the kind of girl that has always loved to cook and has been honing her cooking skills for years - nope, I'm the kind of girl that ate mac & cheese and blueberry muffins all through college {from boxes, of course} and is completely content eating a bowl {or two} of cereal for dinner. So its been an adventure ever since Morgan and I started dating and started cooking together, and it continues to be now that we're newlyweds.
One thing I've started doing since we got married is make out a menu every week - not to say that we always follow it because things always come up {like chicken not thawing for 3 days in our freezing fridge} - but it has helped me organize our grocery shopping {and budget} and try new recipes every week. What I've found is that the some of the things that I've always been scared to try or shy away from have become part of my "Staples Menu" {or a running list of things I think I'm particularly good at, or taste muy bueno}

So this week's menu:

Tuesday - whatever {Morgan plays basketball after class - which means either leftovers or cereal - guess which one I usually choose :)}
Wednesday  - Buffalo Wild Wings {yea, we're going to IKEA, and guess whats down the road? yep, cop out}
Thursday - Brinner - waffles & strawberries, turkey bacon, scrambled eggs {waffles - my dad's recipe}
Friday - Date Night - Tacos! {not exactly original, but new thing: making hard tacos out of tortillas} + a redbox.
Saturday - Chicken Parmesan
Sunday - Cheeseburgers + Parmesan Ovenbaked Fries


No comments: